Saturday, April 10, 2010

Does your milk have artificial hormones?

I buy milk that is rBGH free. rBGH is
recombinant bovine growth hormone also known as a artificial growth hormone. This is given to cows so they will produce more milk. Some believe it has been linked to early puberty and several kinds of cancer. rBGH free milk can be bought at Braum's, Walmart and organic brands at Reasor's. My fave is sold by Braum's. It has a flavor I like to describe as clean. For a long time I bought our ice cream at Braum's just assuming it was rBGH free. Sigh, I was wrong that's what I get for assuming. Their ice cream, sherbert and yogurt have it so I've been hunting for one we all like. I think we have settled on Breyer's Dreamy Creamy. I still prefer Braum's so I have emailed them asking them to make it rBGH free, take out the trans fats AND HFCS. I like to email companies to request changes because I believe our voices do make a difference.

Wal mart offers this rBGH free milk in store brand and brand names.
Cost at Braum's $3.29 estimated
Wal-mart estimated at a lil over $3
Reasors has organic milk starting at $6

2 comments:

  1. We buy our milk at Braums. Back with Emma was little they used to let you pick it up through the drive through-wish they still did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I think it's less then 3 dollars sometimes too

    ReplyDelete