Monday, February 8, 2010

Different Choices For Our Pantry

When you are eating you're new choices please keep something in mind, some will taste and feel different. Just keep in mind if you like the flavor you will get accustomed to the texture. Well, I did and I hope you do too.




PEANUT BUTTER
No kidding but after all this time I just found my fave PB this last week. I was getting frustrated because I wasn't liking any that were sold. I was starting to think I had to make my own. Finally, I found one by Smart Balance. It is creamy and flavorful. If eaten alone on bread it does need to be sweeter but some honey or jelly can fix that. Yeah! I found a PB! PB is very essential in my life so I am very happy right about now.







CRACKERS
My Monkey's fave snack are crackers. He and I loved Ritz crackers. I did not find a cracker that was as heavenly buttery delicious as a Ritz. Yes, I remember it fondly. I tried Reasor's store brand, Wal- mart store brand and Aldi, none were a match soooo we just eliminated the Ritz cracker. I still buy it for my Monkey to share with his class at snack time. Oh, you should see him he is jumping for joy! We also like saltine crackers. The Boss and I like Cheez-it, the reduce fat version. I think they have a nice cheddar bite to them. I tried many other crackers on the market and I just didn't like the flavor or the texture. It's important to check the market every 6 months because what's on the shelf changes.










CHIPS
I LOVE pita chips. I tried several brands, my fave is Stacy's found at Wal-mart $2.50. Stacy's pita chip are my pick because the chip is strong enough to dip, great texture and yummy crunch. I came across some pita chips that were salty, broke easily and over baked, booo! I like Pretzel sticks. I find mine at a great price $1.19 at Aldi. Great taste and crunch. I also like the round yellow corn tortilla chips from Aldi sold for $1.19.







POPCORN
There is microwaveable popcorn that are good but I did not find one I loved. My sister told me how to make your own.
Make your own microwaveable popcorn. Put 1/4 cup of kernels in a brown lunch paper bag, fold the top, place standing up in the microwave, my micro will pop it in 90 seconds yours may vary. You may like it plain, I love it tossed with spray butter. This is at a great price. For $1.25 you can get many servings of popcorn, makes it even better.

5 comments:

  1. Loving your blog and PROUD of you for making all these healthy changes! We have been making changes along the way as well. It does definitely take time to get used to but now, when I look in my cart at the checkout, I'm proud of what I see I am feeding my family and when I look in front of me at someone's cart full of junk food and processed fatty stuff, I feel so sorry for them, their kids and their thighs : ) I started making changes about 6 yrs ago after my youngest was born and I can honestly say it's the first time I've done a good job at maintaining my weight and I actually weigh less than I did in high school. Now my goal is to weigh what I SHOULD weigh. I'm getting there slowly but surely and I'm glad you are right there alongside me working to get healthier for your family, too! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great to know, Jessica! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought the brown sacks today to make the popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some of these choices in my pantry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! Cindy tried the popcorn and had Noah decorate his own bag before she popped it-Emma and I will be trying that soon.

    ReplyDelete