Sunday, February 7, 2010

What is there Left to Eat!


Recently I helped a friend clean out her pantry...


What are trans fat?

Trans Fat aka partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monoglycerides and diglycerides are created by adding hydrogen to vegetable oil. Trans fat increase your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and decrease your good (HDL) cholesterol. Eating TF increases your risk of heart disease, stroke and developing diabetes type 2. TF can be found in foods such as frozen fries, pie crust, donuts, cookies, crackers, bread, cereal, pasta, prepared rice, stick margarine and shortening. It is added to food to extend shelf life and improve taste and texture.

Click Here for an ez read regarding Trans Fats...




What is High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS)?

HFCS is the combination of changing the glucose (sugar) from cornstarch into fructose. It is used as a sweetener and preservative in sodas, fruit flavored drinks and processed foods.


Click here
for a ez read regarding HFCS


Once I was educated on TF and HFCS. I started to clean out our pantry checking food labels. I was astonished staring at all the food I had taken out. I thought What is there left to eat? What have I done? I panicked not knowing what we would eat and how difficult it would be to find it. It broke my heart to throw away food so I donated the unopened packages to my local pantry. As we finished items, I replaced them with our new alternative. On some items it took many trials and errors to settle on our replacements. Today I can honestly say we have found replacements for our food items. Some we had to completely eliminate in order to decrease our processed food intake.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the info on TF and HFCS. It alway good to refresh your mind of all the bad things it does to your body. Thanks for going through my pantry with me. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the helpul links-I can't wait to check them out. You shoud do a post of your favorite products-you know-tell us how to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Although it's always astonishing to see what can be taken out of a pantry, it was FUN!

    Shannon,
    Yes, for sure I will soon post my fave foods!

    ReplyDelete