Sunday, February 7, 2010

Recycle Paper to Save Our Earth


Why is it important to recycle paper?

It really is true it will save trees! Recycling paper will prevent toxic gases into our atmosphere and into our water. Energy is another resource that can be saved by recycling paper. 35% of landfill waste is from paper and paper goods.

EZ Reads





What can be recycled?



I believe recycling paper was a easy change in my life. I place my recycling bin on top of my dryer in my laundry room. Since it is near my door to the garage this is a practical place for me. When recycling be aware to keep your identity information safe. I recycle the following: magazines, phone books, junk mail, , grocery paper bags, clean brown or white lunch bags , catalogs, your children's art work on white paper, manuals, toy instruction booklets, packing paper, wrapping paper (some wrapping paper has a gloss, be sure a recycling symbol is on the packaging) computer paper and notebook paper. I take my recycling bin to the recycling dumpster once a week. Um, sure sometimes it starts to overflow and I think I need a larger bin ;P


Where do I dump my recycling bin?


At the beginning I did use a pick up service but discontinued the service when I became a practical frugalista. I dump my paper at my son's elementary school. The company, Paper Retriever, has a wonderful recycling program. Look for their yellow and green recycling dumpster at local schools, libraries, churches and other non-profit organizations. Non- profit organizations get paid for the paper recycled. The funds can be used for field and mission trips, playgrounds,scholarships and other projects. This is great because not only are you saving the Earth you are also improving another Life.


The Paper Retriever accepts:

magazines

newspaper

catalogs

school and office paper

mail

shredded paper

paperback books

window envelopes

workbooks


The Paper Retriever does NOT accept

Phonebooks


Along with other recyclables (we'll get to that later) I recycle my phonebooks at Owasso Recycling Center. YES! Our fab town has a recycling center!


Hours: Tues. to Fri. 10am to 6pm Sat. 9am to 5pm

Closed Sun. and Mon. Designated Holidays


The Truth

The average American uses 650 pounds of paper each year- 100 million tons of wood could be saved each year if all that paper was recycled.






3 comments:

  1. WOW that takes dedication to actually drop off your recycling. Mine gets picked up every two weeks; I should look into how much it costs and what my options are to dropping off. But I know me too well - I may completely do away with recycling if I cancel the curb pickup; I think I will stick with paying a monthly fee. This will be something I do down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totaly need to start! Noah asked me the other day if we could recyle so I think it time to set a good example for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We definitely should recycle. I think Emma is learning about recycling at school. The other day she ate a peppermint and insisted we save the wrapper so she could recycle it.

    ReplyDelete